This SBAR Technique online training course explores a communication technique called SBAR or Situation, Background, Assessment, Recommendations. Studies suggest that lack of communication between caregivers—doctors and nurses as well as between nurses—leads to adverse health events unrelated to a patient’s illness.
This technique enables nurses and other caregivers to communicate better with doctors. It equips them with the skills required to evaluate a situation, obtain a detailed background history, assess the problem, and provide recommendations to the attending physician in a clear and concise manner.
Practicing this technique should be accompanied by an emphasis on assertiveness to state and maintain a position until persuaded otherwise by facts.
Course Learning Objectives
By taking this online SBAR Technique course, the user will learn:
- Understand the context and necessity for the SBAR technique
- Recognize the necessity for effective communication in a healthcare setting
- Apply the basics of the SBAR technique
- Explain how handoffs are a critical part of SBAR application
- Apply assertiveness in conjunction with the SBAR technique
This online SBAR Technique course is made up of the following sections:
- Overview of SBAR
- SBAR Basics
- Handoffs and Assertiveness
This SBAR Technique online training course was designed for nurses, caregivers, other healthcare-practitioner employees in hospitals.
If you have any concerns as to whether this course is appropriate for you or your industry, please browse our full selection of online courses.